I’ve made Risotto a hundred times but I always make it into rice balls and fry them as Arancini (see that recipe on sundaywithachanceofmeatballs.com). My daughter asked me to make it and serve it with our dinner tonight. We were having pork, but this is a great side for any meat and could be served as a main dish by adding chicken, shrimp or lobster!
Risotto with Peas Ingredients:
- Arborio Rice (must be Arborio! Any other grain will not do!)
- Half a large onion – diced
- Chicken Broth (heat to warm)
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup white wine (whatever wine you like to drink!)
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 pad of butter
Risotto with Peas Method:
- Dice half a large onion
- Heat a Dutch oven or large stock pot and add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Add onion to the pot and heat until soft on medium heat, about 5 minutes
- Add 1 cup Arborio rice and stir for 30 seconds
- Add 1 cup white wine and stir constantly until the liquid is almost all absorbed
- Add one ladle of heated chicken broth at a time to the rice at a time, stirring constantly until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this for 20 minutes. Rice should simmer but not boil on medium heat. Don’t walk away, this step takes constant attention. After 20 minutes taste the rice. It should be soft, not crunchy.
- Remove the rice from the heat and add a half cup of peas, a cup of shredded Parmesan (best if you grate it fresh), 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, a pad of butter, salt and pepper to taste (definitely taste it!)
- Serve as a side or add pork, chicken, shrimp or lobster as a main dish!