If you’re like me you always have leftovers. I make more than I need for most meals because I love having leftovers.
Before making this recipe I made a beef stock from the rib bones and meet from the Prime Rib. I add the ribs to 2 quarts of water with roughed cut onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery ribs, salt, a tablespoon of pepper corns, 2 cloves of garlic, onion powder and garlic poweder and simmer on med/low heat for 5-8 hours. The longer the better. You can pick the meat off the bones and use for the soup or discard them. Strain the broth using a fine mesh strainer and cool in fridge for 2-3 hours and remove any fat from top before making the soup.
- Place the butter into a large Dutch oven over medium heat, and let melt.
- Add in the celery, carrots, and onion. (add a few pinches of crushed red pepper if you like!) Let cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened and starting to brown.
- Add in the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add in the beef broth, prime rib, red wine, ground thyme, and barley.
- Simmer over medium heat until the barley is tender (about 1 hour). Add a handful of chopped parsley just before serving.
Find many more great recipes and stories at http://www.sundaywithachanceofmeatballs.com!!