In my family we have a tradition of starting each new year off with Pork and Sauerkraut. It’s a family legend that this gives good luck throughout the year. It’s not only provided us with great luck but it’s delicious!
Since we’ve had such great luck in our family through the years we’re not going to change this tradition! This year I thought I’d add a little twist to the dish by adding golden delicious apples. I read that the apples take a little bitterness out of the kraut and add a little sweetness and texture to the dish so I decided to try it and it really did make a difference.
- 3 pound pork loin roast – boneless
- 2 pounds sauerkraut (I use the bag from the deli section vs cans)
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 Golden Delicious apple – peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbls light brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Season the pork loin with salt, pepper and paprika on all sides. Heat the cast iron skillet and add the olive oil. Sear the pork loin on all sides in the skillet and set aside.
- In a Dutch Oven add the sauerkraut to the bottom. Don’t drain the sauerkraut as the juices help make the pork nice a juicy! Place chopped apples on top of the sauerkraut and sprinkle the brown sugar over the top. Add the sliced onion and nestle the pork loin in the sauerkraut.
- Cover the dutch oven and bake for 2 hours.
- After removing the pork from the oven, let it stand uncovered for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- We serve this with mashed potatoes! It’s a great comfort dish for snowy or rainy days!
Visit http://www.sundaywithachanceofmeatballs.com for more great recipes!